Dynafit Vulcan + Speed Radical - I'm Stoked

epst10

I’ve been waddling through various touring boot/binding options for the last 5 years, never really finding the perfect combo. I skied the Diamir Fritschi Freeride binding with Garmont Adrenalines and eventually swapped that out for a full alpine boot, Lange RX 130 and Marker Baron bindings. For me, I go skiing to go skiing. I have also logged a lot of lift served skiing over the last few years. I mostly do day tours, but have taken the (very heavy) Lange/Marker combo as far as 20mi in Yellowstone NP. Over the last 5 years I’ve averaged 40-50 days resort skiing and 10-20 days touring per year.

I’ve long wanted to be on Dynafit bindings for touring, for the obvious “weight and gate” advantages over plate bindings, but have never viewed any of the boot offerings to be adequate for how and what I like to ski. Then the Vulcan showed up. They are heavier than the TLT6 P, BUT they ski just like my full 130 flex alpine boot (which have the stiff Intuition power wrap liners & booster straps). And unlike the Langes they tour like a champ. Carbon fiber+Grilamid ROCKS.

The TLT style walk mode is truly incredible, with the tongues out, skinning in the Vulcans feels like walking down the street. The range of motion of this boot with the “gate” of the Dynafit binding has truly revolutionized my touring experience.

A couple of things I’ve noticed about Dynafit bindings (specifically I’m on Speed Radicals w/o brakes). First of all they are bomber. I normally ski alpine bindings on a DIN of 10, so I cranked the Speed Radical to a RT of 10 (capacity) without hesitation, and have yet to have them release any differently than an alpine binding. Small drops, ollieing over terrain features, and pointing it have all gone well without release in all conditions (crust, chunder, cream cheese, pow etc.). Although I’m always gaining confidence in the Dynafit’s release characteristics, I will admit that I’ve “locked out” the toe a few times when I was in what I considered no fall zones. For me this isn’t an issue, because when I’m skiing in this kind of terrain I ski slowly, making controlled jump turns, don’t play on terrain features and don’t fall.

One negative thing I’ve notice about the Dynafit bindings is the increased difference between the heights of the toe and heal when in ski mode. This difference in height, dubbed “delta angle” by the venerable Lou Dawson at “wildsnow.com”, really sucks. It makes me feel like I’m skiing in stiletto heels. Too used to the near zero delta angle of a free-ride alpine binding? I probably am. I have been sucking it up so far but definitely plan on getting some toe shims from “bndskigear.com” in the very near feature to reduce the delta angle as much as possible.

A couple of other notes: Yes you can ski these boots w/o the tongues and they ski well. In my personal estimation I’d say that the boots ski at a ~110 flex w/o the tongues and at a 130+ flex w/ the tongues (I’m 5’ 11”, 170lb for reference). As always with ski boots, fit is the single most important thing to take into account. For me the Vulcans fit perfectly. I have a very narrow heal, and a very wide forefoot. The tight heal and 103mm last of the Vulcan is spot on for me. However, I can tell after a long day in these boots that the lower volume TLT6’s wouldn’t work for me without substantial boot fitting wizardry.

For me the increased weight over the TLT6 models is a no brainer. Depending on your skiing ability, style, and objectives the weight penalty may not be for you. For me these boots are perfect whether I’m skinning all day up a volcano or dropping into a deep pillow line. Is the Vulcan a ski boot revolution? I think so!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days