[TR] Mt. St. Helens - Monitor Ridge 10/9/2013

leora

Trip: Mt. St. Helens - Monitor Ridge

Date: 10/9/2013

Trip Report:

This is a quickie trip report, as I was realizing that most of the people who attempted the Monitor Ridge route on Mt. St. Helens, yesterday, turned around, and I'm guessing that it was because they didn't have crampons. Once out of the trees, there was snow AND ice on the route. There may have been enough snow to wear snow shoes, if you stay in the gullies, but it didn't appear that anyone attempting that made it very far. There was a ton of rime ice on the rocks, and much of the snow that existed between the rocks was icy. With crampons, we were able to ascend, easily.

There was definitely a lot of cornice on the rim, as well as snow in the crater butting up against the rim, but we were able to find an area that gave us a clear view into the crater, by walking east.

My camera batteries were too cold, so no pictures from me. . . Trust me, though - it was stunningly beautiful.

leora

Gear Notes:

Crampons!

Approach Notes:

In spite of the Government Shutdown, the gates to the Climber's Bivouac were all open, and the restrooms were open, as well (probably should play it safe and bring your own toilet paper).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you wait until late in the day, with the snow softening, you *could* find some runs, but, I wouldn't suggest it just yet (unless it snowed again, last night!), as what I found is that there were many, many icy sections on the way down, even with the continual rays of the sun, that made me want to keep my crampons for a while. There are nice build-ups of snow on the eastern sides of the ridges, but, at least, around Monitor Ridge, not enough for a consistent path on the eastern side of that ridge. And, below, there were lots of rocks that you'd have fun dodging. . .

leora