Newbie looking for partners

PuddinTame

Eager to learn and gain experience. I have been learning for about a year or so. I have done mostly crag climbing, but did Grand Teton and some in the Cirque of the Towers this summer. I have only led once; 5.2 or so.

I live in Seattle, and am available most weekends.

I love to laugh.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellow noob here. I'd recommend elaborating about your current skills and what kind of activities/objectives you hope to do. This will make it more clear to people whether you might be a good match.

It sounds like you probably know how to belay and rappel and you say you have led 5.2. What grade can you reasonably follow? Do you know how to build gear anchors? Do you have any group equipment such as a rope or rack?

Do you want to go cragging? Alpine rock climbs? Volcano glacier slogs? Ski mountaineering? Swinging 2 ice tools? All of the above?

Depending on the activity and your skill level, you can research some appropriate objectives and state a specific goal that you would like to complete. You don't have to do this but it can help narrow down a partner, and having a concrete goal is always good so you don't waste your time noodling around.

Stating your safety preferences can also be a good idea. People have wildly varying ideas about what acceptable safety standards are and you have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with. If you aren't clear about it, this can become an awkward problem during a trip.

There are always clubs and classes, but I believe that I come to a better understanding through researching and figuring things out with my partner, than I would being shown. There are more ways than one to do a lot of things in climbing and you have to pick the best way for you.

Do a lot of reading and practicing of the technical aspects at home. Real trips will always be more complicated than you anticipate, so the basics need to be second nature.

Thanks for the tips.

I can follow comfortably up to 5.8, I have been shown how to make gear anchors, but haven't done it. I can indeed belay and rappel. As of yet, I have no pro or rope, but rope is next on my list.

I am up for all of it. I've never done ice climbing, but have done alpine and crag. I am learning to ski, and have an AT setup with skins.

As far as safety, it always comes first. Not sure how to elaborate. I'd like to come out alive and in one piece, if at all possible. :/

Basically, my objectives are to get experience. Cragging seems the most likely place to start, but I would up for anything that my potential, experienced, safe partner is willing to drag me out on. I'd like to be leading 5.7 or 8 before I get to be older than the hills myself.