Mt. Hood South Side Monday, July 1

mvarney

I'd like to find a partner or group for Mt. Hood's south side (Hogsback/Old Chute) next Monday night, July 1. The rest of my team have canceled due to injuries and lack of preparation, and I would prefer not to go alone.

I consider myself an "advanced beginner," having climbed Mt. Adams South Side (twice), St. Helens, and Shasta Avalanche Gulch. I have and know how to use all standard gear, including axe and crampons, except that I am not experienced with ropes and don't have a harness. I am probably willing to get a harness if you plan to use a rope. I would prefer to go with those who are at least as experienced as I am.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Edited by mvarney

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon further investigation, it appears that after this week's storms, the snow conditions might not be too great. Now I'm leaning toward next week. What do y'all think?

[Edit: I have now decided on next Monday, July 1, if I can find a partner. See the revised original post above.]

Edited by mvarney

hmm... most of the snowpack is fairly consolidated but yet there could be some postholing up high if you go the first day after fresh snow has been falling--depends how much fresh up high. that said it doesn't take much intense june sun to cycle the snow and at the least give you a firm crust for the way up in the early AM, a day or two or three after, esp with temps going so high.

Did you make it up on the 1st? I'm coming in next week from SC, hoping to do the same route as you on either Thurs night 7/11 or Fri 7/12. I'm in the same boat - really prefer not to do it alone. I have lots of experience on what I would call "technical hikes", having done most of Colorado's 14ers. However, from what I read you can do Hood without ropes and harness. Are you interested?

Dave

novakproductions@yahoo.com