Madrone

kevbone

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

This is what I know, which isn't very helpful. I had an email conversation with Keith D a few weeks back asking about any new information.

He and Clackamas Co. were still waiting on the final civil engineering plans ( pro bono - being completed by the same engineer / firm that is doing the new Sellwood Bridge). I think a minimal draft plan was submitted maybe 6 or so months ago.

There was also a meeting last Feb. that was organized by Clackamas Co. specifically for the Madrone in regards to some funding and grant money for fire management / prevention. The Madrone site was identified along with a number of open spaces that were at great risk for wildfire concerns. A few climbers did make it to that meeting. Experts had stated that there was so much "fuel" from the meadow, surrounding forested area, and on up at the top of the cliff, that a lot of the brush, invasives, and some evergreens needed to be trimmed (no significant tree cutting).

So, it was my understanding that a paid crew was supposed to go in there for 2-3 weeks over this past summer to remove invasives, and trim and eliminate some of this "fuel" so that wildfires could be minimized. Money for this did not come from the County, but from grants received specifically for fire management.

I also remember submitting info to the County maybe almost a year ago, and we provided them with climbing management plans from Beacon, Smith, Skinners Butte, and Mt Hood NF. Peregrines showed up 2-3 years ago ( those darned birds!), and so Clackamas Co wanted to know how other agencies were dealing with this.

The County cannot move forward on construction at the site without the engineering plans. The 1249 OR National Guard IRT (Salem) returned from the Middle East last winter, and stand ready to do the work once the engineering plans and funding are in place, unless they get deployed again, of course.

That is really all I can add at this point. I'm sure the foot dragging on the County is partially responsible for the lack of forward progress, but I don't think we're in any position to rush the engineering plans, or the engineer.

And the County will not open the site to public access without on-site parking, emergency vehicle access, a bathroom facility, a management plan for those birds ( and other issues of concern for them: dogs, bolting, trail user conflicts, etc),and designated trails designed to handle the usage that it will get.

Thanks for asking, and sorry I couldn't have any exciting news.

Kellie Rice

President, Madrone Wall Preservation Committee