Stuart via Cascadian Couloir 9/15-16

GWolter

Looking to do a 1-2 day scramble of this objective next weekend. I am open to other options as well - especially if in the north cascades or enchantments area. I can follow up to 5.9 in the alpine. I lead sport but no trad.

A bit about me: 32 y/o resident anesthesiologist at UW. I graduated from the Mountaineers basic climbing course a year ago. Recent ascents include: Rainier (DC), Little Tahoma, Cruiser, S.E. Winter Spire, Baker (Boulder Gl.)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cascadian is a hike not a climb. I wouldn't even call it a scramble really. If you follow up to 5.9 you should do the West Ridge.

http://www.summitpost.org/west-ridge/164032

Yeah - I was just aiming for the easiest route since this would be my first time on Stuart, and I don't lead. I am open to the West Ridge if there is a capable and competent person looking for a follower.

Buckaroo is right. I've done the CC which there is a scramble section but most of it is a walk up. I'd be willing to do the Sherpa Glacier.

Sherpa Glacier...this late in the season? This report from last year this time sounds a bit intimidating: (http://cascadeclimbers.com/trip-reports/alpine/mt-stuart-sherpa-glacier-9-10-2011-5951/). I don't have much experience on steep hard snow and/or ice.

No worries. Looked over the report which it looked potentially trouble some but not too bad. I'll have to save that one for another time. As for the CC, you should save it for next year. When it's completely dry it looks kinda boring (not to sound spoiled). During July one can glissade quite a bit of the mountain which is quite enjoyable.