Bibler Ahwahnee Questions

mplutodh1

A couple questions for those familiar with the Bibler Ahwahnee (specifically the older Bibler Ahwahnee 2 with a single door and a window)

1) Is there any reason it would be a bad idea to use a compression stuff sack to reduce it's size? Potentially buying this tent off a guy on Craigslist and after looking at it in person this thing is a beast in it's stuff sack!

Obviously would not store it in the stuff sack but thinking for keeping the gear in my pack organized and not bloated, a compression sack would be helpful

2) Anyone have tips for getting it setup quickly (in the event you're hurrying in wind/rain.)

Especially hooking the vestibule up to the tent with those little hooks.

3) Looks like the ability to zip the mesh screen door is only on the new Ahwahnee, or am I missing something?

All in all, considering buying it as my 3 season REI Ex-tent and Clipper tents just aren't fitting what I'm looking for in a tent for year round tent - not great for climbing trips. When I weighed it though, did end up weighing more than I had thought - pushing over 9 lbs with the vestibule and tarp.

Edited by mplutodh1

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ahwanee is a good tent. I think of it as an Eldorado with the door on the long side instead of the short side. I have an Eldorado and love it. My tent is reasonably simple to set up quickly.

Stow it with the door mostly closed so that if it's raining while you're setting up water doesn't get inside as you futz with other things.

Connect the poles.

Then unzip the tent, crawl inside, and plug the pole ends into their metal seats. This is a key step to get right. Once I missed the metal seat and punched the end of the pole through the tent floor. Having a second person helps.

Get both poles seated, drag gear inside, climb back out, zip up door, and secure the tent to the ground with whatever is appropriate- stakes, guylines, rocks, pickets, stuff sacks filled with snow, etc.

The total weight you're packing for that tent does sound a little on the high side, but the ground sheet and vestibule add up. I saved a little weight by making a ground sheet from a piece of silnylon. The longer zipper and extra mesh contribute to the weight, as well.

If you are getting a good deal on the tent and it's in great shape then go for it. The Ahwanee will be a bit more versatile than the Eldorado for warmer conditions and will do fine in Cascade winters.

I see no reason a compression sack would harm the tent, as long as you are drying it thoroughly before storing it. I have decent success with my Eldorado by folding it a couple times and then rolling it up into as tight of a log as I can get it. A compression stuff sack will also add weight. If the weather forecast for your trip is good you can leave the vestibule behind and if you're on snow you can leave the tarp, too.

Thanks for the response! Sounds in line with my thinking. It did seem high and I realized the stakes (way more than I'd use) were in the bag still so that will add weight, and I admittedly did not have an uber accurate scale just used a bath scale with me on it with the tent and then with just me and did the math so was ball-parking things.

The stuff sack idea would only be if weather was good and it was dry. The good news is from what I hear the ToddTex stuff dries pretty quick in comparison to most 3 season tents.

Great idea on the silnylon sheet for the ground tarp - this one is lighter than both tarps for my 3 season backpacking tents but still could lose some weight with a different tarp.

I'll take a closer look at it tonight in good day light in the yard and see how things look.

Any advice on how to clean dirt off the toddtex fabric? Just mild soap and water? The door, to it's design, appears to get a bit dirty and figured I'd give it a try cleaning it off.