[TR] Liberty Bell - Beckey Route 6/25/2010

goatboy

Trip: Liberty Bell - Beckey Route

Date: 6/25/2010

Trip Report:

Tamara and I climbed Liberty Bell last year and I am finally getting around to writing a TR for it. We did the standard route (Beckey Route) and although I have done it before several times, I enjoyed it as if it were the first time.

It is always stunning to arrive atop the snow-filled gully between Liberty Bell and Concord, and suddenly see the SilverStar Massif across the valley:

IMG_1063.JPG

The first pitch goes very easily once you locate the ledge where the route starts, and soon you're into the steep but easy chockstone-chimney, complete with (original?) rusty pitons:

IMG_10912.JPG

A very nice pitch maneuvers through clean, low angle cracks and hand-traverses around a corner to the east (right). Here, you intersect the descent route (or Rapple Grapple if you came up via that variation).

We left our ropes and rack here and found our way up the short friction slab towards the summit.

IMG_11261.JPG

IMG_11111.JPG

This route is a classic for a reason. It is very easy but incredibly rewarding, reasonably long, feels more rugged than it really is due to the surroundings and the snowy approach (despite the highway far below), and inspires you to return for the many other excellent routes visible from the airy summit.

Gear Notes:

Light rack up to #2 or at most #3 camalot should suffice. Ice axe useful for steep snow.

Approach Notes:

Go when the gully is still snowfilled. Usually melts out in July.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey goat boy, cpl yrs ago...mountain goatman, and i threw on some 65+ pound packs and free soloed up liberty bell, in the dark, to spend the night on top. This was after climbing around the area, for a few days. Liberty bell is one of the best mtns to campontop of.(other than the obvious ones). It was one of the things i wanted to do, after making the top after three attempts on the east face, and telling myself i gota come back here and do just that. Took 30yrs, and was well worth it. Watched the sky all night long!!! HigHly recommended, on a non weekend day!!!

Edited by crazedmaniac