BD Cobra axes, Aermet picks, spare picks

Jon H

Selling off my BD Cobras. They are the new leashless style. They come with a pair of laser picks, the head wrench, and allen-keys for the Strike and Fang. Both are hammers. One of the hammers is dinged up from pounding a knifeblade. The picks on them are Lasers and were pulled out of the package new last season and have very minor filing. I would guess less than 20% of the first tooth has been filed.

They are used but in pretty good shape. I have had the shafts wrapped for most of their lives with Scotch self sealing mastic. The mastic is in pretty poor shape after a season of NE ice plus 3 weeks in Chamonix, but underneath they only show minor wear. I am looking for $450, which is only 66% of retail, plus shipping and any paypal fees.

I am the 2nd owner of these tools. The first owner attempted a new route on the north face of Mt Dickey and scratched up one of the shafts through the clear coat. I showed it to Kolin Powick at BD and he told me, if I remember correctly, "They're fine, stop being a pussy and go climb." I only mention this because I believe in full disclosure... it's really quite minor. They are 100% structurally sound and I trust them with my life.

Topping out after simul-soloing the Cosmic Arete (PD/PD+) on the Aiguille du Midi with the Cobras, 4 months ago:

V65BQl.jpg

Following Positive Thinking (WI5) on Poke O Moonshine:

mubjxl.jpg

I will take pics of the tools themselves for any serious buyer.

I also have spare picks for sale:

Set of Lasers, tip filed thin for cold/hard ice to minimize shattering: $62 shipped

Set of Alaska picks. Strong T rated pick, great for alpine climbs. Anvils cut off by Bill Belcourt of BD so they clear snow mushrooms easily. Minimal use, maybe 4 easy alpine routes. $62 shipped.

Set of rare Airmet picks in excellent shape. Exotic, hard wearing steel. Discontinued by BD in the late 90's because they were losing money on every sale. They are amazing on pure ice. If you don't touch rock, these probably don't need sharpening more than once or twice a season. $100 shipped.

The buyer of the tools can have any of these sets of picks for $10 less per set.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic