Partners in Southeast Asia

Grover77

I am heading to Malaysia tonight then traveling through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

I will be spending about three weeks in each of these five countries and hope to climb often.

If you are in the area and are looking for a climbing partner, let me know. At the moment, I only have a harness and shoes but will be buying more gear this week.

So far I've been through Indonesia and have been lucky enough to find a partner there, and it was pretty sweet. I look forward to climbing again.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in KL, Malaysia. Most development is near the city but there is unlimited limestone cliffs all over the country. I'll be climbing plastic this week and making a trip up to Ipoh this weekend or next (there is a very photogenic 40m freestanding pillar with a handful of routes).

What gear do you need? There's a shop in one utama shopping mall for basic rock gear. There's a pretty good outfitter near downtown if you want anything besides shoes and rope, but I forget the name. Google could give more detail. You can try barracuda for chalk and chalk bags - small local company, bags are hand stitched by the founders mom-in-law, some cool designs.

When you get to Thailand make sure to step away from tonsai for a couple days and visit spirit mountain only 15 minutes inland from Ao Nang. New routes. High quality stone that rivals tonsai and is not polished. Ask about the place when you get there. Spirit mountain is in the village of Chong Plee just up the road from Ao Nang. Make the land owners happy and rent a bungalow that they built for the climbers. quality toilet rooms, with showers too. cheap, and localized. get away from the madness of tonsai, and all the damn euros!

I probably won't spend too long in Railay/Tonsai anyway, maybe just get 2 days of climbing or so. Not much to do there besides climbing anyway.

I didn't now about spirit mountain though, thanks for that. I guess that's another place to spend a few days. What else is there to do in Ao Nang though? Last time I was there, it seemed pretty uninteresting.

Also looking forward to climbing in Chiang Mai again.

Ya, Ao Nang is kinda touristy and lame IMHO... Lame only because its so damn tourist packed. Ao Nang really is just a hub to go to other places like all the islands and tonsai/railay. If you can climb 6c-7c I would reccomend hanging out in chong plee for a couple days at spirit mtn. Ask the shops at Tonsai about it, or look it up on on rockclimbing.com or mountainproject.com for general directions. If you run into my friend Mike Weitzman who lives in chong plee, you might get to bolt some new routes with him if interested. Theres also another wall near spirit mtn called bon voyage wall. We put a few routes up there too. Basicly I would rent a shack at spirit mtn, eat in the village, climb, eat in the village, climb, sleep, repeat. Its off the beaten path so you will get a localized experience if you want one. Maybe try and talk some Tonsai people into coming out too... all in all, when you leave tonsai on the boat the crag is only 25 mins away. Drive around the farm lands and look at the dozens of unclimbed karsts with full on arches on your rest days... Rent a motorbike in Ao Nang. Ohhh I can't wait to go back!