Your Experience w/Mont Bell UL SS Down Hugger Bags

ASmith

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 30 degree down hugger. I'm a stocky guy, so even at 5 10" I had to buy the long version. I've spent 30+ nights in it from temps of 70 to just under freezing. I use it with a bivvy and a silk liner and was warm down to about 25-26 in a Betalight. Great bag. Ultralight, super packable, highly recommended. I'm considering buying the 0 degree version.

I've got the #5 version, so a lighter summer bag. I love it. It is super light, compresses very small, and is plenty warm above freezing. It doesn't have zippers, so no venting to adapt to varying temperatures...just layer as needed with clothing. Hope that helps.

I know the new UL SS versions the regular six is now 6' now instead of the previous 5'-10" model so a regular fits up to 6' like most manufactures. I looking at a UL SS #1 as compared to my FF Swift & Swallow and it has so much more room but it seems like the loft in the baffles are thin as I can see thru the bag, so Im questioning the temp rating.

• 2 weeks later...

We have three MontBell bags, including two UL SS #3's (last years with the 5"10' fit) for me and members of my family. Given their weight, they look a bit minimalist when you pull them out of the stuff sack, but I've found them to sleep very comfortably (I'm 5"10, ~185lbs), and true to temp rating. I've been comfy in this bag down into the 20's in a bivy/single wall tent. The one negative of this bag, IMO is the lack of a filled draft tube (the draft covering over the zipper is a a little spare), so I'm not sure this is a one bag quiver. Still, for a light bag, this is hard to beat...