24k topos and routes on Garmin GPS easy and free

RaisedByPikas

So I finally figured out how to be able to easily program routes onto my gps using google earth and also get 24k topos for free. I'm not sure if everyone has as much trouble as I did but I figured I can't be the only one looking to do this. This may only work for Garmin GPS's. Oh and by easy I mean that once this is all setup its easy.

Part I: Getting Routes from your computer to GPS

1. Download google earth

Google Earth

1b. (optional) Get a topo overlay for google earth.

USGS topo maps

NOTE: do not click the download drivers button on the top of the website its some useless program, scroll down and click "download with google earth". Also read the first update paragraph, I got this error.

2. Get google earth to gps interface.

EarthNC Trip and Route Tool

NOTE: To get this to transfer the routes to your GPS you will need to recheck the box that you might have unchecked in step 1b.

3. Create your route and upload it using the tool's instructions. If you want an actual route instead of just a set of waypoints you need to click the options button after you paste in your waypoints. Check the "convert waypoints to route" button

Part II: Getting 24k topo maps on your garmin GPS for Free

1. Download Garmin Mapsource

Garmin Mapsource without Garmin DVD/microSD card

2. Download AND install new mapsets

GPSFileDepot.com

NOTE: Ignore the "new users start here box" just search by state. I have only downloaded maps with a check in the EZ install column. I think things get more complicated if its doesnt have ez install. I loaded Northwest topos and Washington 24K Topo which has more detail.

3. Load maps onto your GPS

Open garmin mapsource. At first it will look like an empty blank program. Click the drop box which says "no maps" and select the mapset you want. You should now see a large overview map with none of the smaller more detailed maps. Next (and this took me forever to figure out) You have to go to View -> Switch to product. Now several squares should show up illustrating the detailed maps. You cannot zoom in on these maps to see the details. Select the maps you want and then send them to your GPS. I just sent all of the maps in each mapset at once but your GPS may not have enough memory (well really I sent them in two batches, one for each mapset YMMV)

Part III: Be sure you know how to use a map and compass for when you run out of batteries.

Edited by RaisedByPikas

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic