Mt Thielsen Right Now

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the snowpack is still dense, which I'm sure it is starting at 5,000ft, I would suggest taking the Howlock Mountain trail to Thielsen Creek trail and back down the PCT before heading up the mountain. Or you could ski the Lathrop Glacier remnant on the NF if a summit isn't what you're after?

I called the resort about 10 days ago and they reported the pinnacle is still covered in rime ice, so be prepared for that.

I personally just want to check out/climb the gully heading up just a pinch south of Thielsen's eastern face. I'm thinking of heading down there the first week of June or so.

Diamond Lake Resort: 541-793-3333

Thanks for the info, Holk. That rime ice is problematic. Might have to do some bashing and thrashing to find that summit. I'll scope out the North Face. If it's a white out, I'm not likely to carve out a run into a tree prison.

Ill research the trail matrix that you described. Thanks again for the knowledgeable post.

No problem.

The route I mentioned will be a longer approach, but it's literally straightforward. If you're going to ski in it's the best bet as the elevation gain is spanned out and the trail doesn't do a ton of switchbacks, like Thielsen's trail does.

Good luck on that pinnacle! Let me know how things go?