South sister - 3.24 and/or 3/25

aruel100

Is anyone interested climbing south sister (on the south face route)? i don't have much experience but i have the gear and clothing so im really just looking for someone in case i twist an ankle or something. that and someone (or more than one!) to split the gas with :P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think i could do mt. adams (on the south spur route) either thursday or friday (either day, i'd start 1-2am).

alternatively, i could climb to lunch counter thrusday night and then summit early the next morning!

i checked avalanche forecasts and they apparently are gonna decrease after tuesday.

i have snowshoed around trillium lake twice

(once at 8am, a second time at midnight! the 2nd time was far better; i like icy snow cuz i don't sink as much)

and i've also gone snowshoeing, then made a snowcave and slept in it. i have no proper self arrest instruction, but i've glissaded before and stopped myself using a walking pole (i wasn't plannng on glissading so i didn't take the ice axe).

and i've hiked quite a bit!

i'm currently in BCEP (with the mazamas) but that won't be over until May and then i'll have classes (i'm a college student).

and after my classes...i'm traveling abroad the day after finals X_X so i'd really like to get some climbing practice here before going to climb abroad (albeit their easy climbs).

mountains aren't going anywhere. You need to keep doing research about climbs and maybe even make a phone call to forest service ranger districts. Mt. Adams is probably a 25 mile trip from where you can access the road. Same issue you had with south sister. Why don't you talk with your instructor and get their assessment of what you think would be a good thing to do during your time off? you can probably call them now and get an idea.

finish the class and sign up for one of their climbs. and/or make friends with people in class and climb with them when it is finished. If you look at your syllabus for BCEP you will see there is an outdoors snow weekend, likely in April, up on hood where you will practice self-arrest. Doesn't seem like you should be on anything where you may need to self arrest, until you know more about it.

as you suggested i've just emailed him. i have bcep tomorrow night so i'm stuck in portland, but thrusday-friday i'd really like to do something:)

~i went up to saddle mountain today and it was nice because conditions were pretty bad (windy&snowy) and that made it seem like a climb rather than just a hike.