NateF

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent guidebook on ski stuff:

http://alpinetouring.com/KulluValley.htm

I was last through 9/09, looked to be one place in town that had a couple pairs of older vintage touring skis, but I wouldn't really depend on anything. Actually, I'd think you insane going there to do anything outside and depending on local gear. Gorgeous area, Manali itself is a bit overrun with Israeli backpackers and Indian tourists, places off to the side are more peaceful. If you've got some spare time, check out the Roerich museum:

http://www.roerichtrust.org/

one of the best mountain painters ever.

Not sure if the Highway to Leh will be open when you are there, fun stuff off of it

attachment.php?attachmentid=78022&stc=1&d=1272521530

I guess Manali is the Gulmarg for people too cool to go to Gulmarg?

Thank you Hugh, any off to the side gems you'd recommend in particular? Any recommendations in northern India are welcome, not limited to Manali, places where we'll be likely to run into other climbers & skiers but not tons of tourists would be nice. Feel free to pm.

How much time do you have? Not really sure what the road's are like in late April - Rohtang is almost definitely closed - even in late fall it can take some time it was ~16hrs by bus to Delhi from Manali. Supposed to be some fun stuff around Sonamarg, "The Indian Himalayas" by M S Bawa (Manmohan Singh Bawa) was a decent trekking overview, the various Harish Kapadia guides are ok as well.