[TR] Snoqualmie Pass - Wright Mt 2/1/2011

ilookeddown

Trip: Snoqualmie Pass - Wright Mt

Date: 2/1/2011

Trip Report:

The dog and I left from the upper lot at Aplental heading towards Source Lake with hopes of finding some decent snow somewhere. The basin around Source Lake was destroyed from slide debris and the weekend traffic so we headed to the Chair Peak notch. At the top we encountered 3 other skiers getting ready to head down to Snow Lake under high winds. There were some recent slab slides in the vicinity and the group of 3 released a fairly deep wind slab about half way down the slope. I passed by them at this point and ski cut my way down to the lake and was able to get 2 more to go. The skiing was either ice crust or wind packed powder. I took a break in the sun at the lake and watched the group of 3 make their way down before heading on.

My original thought from here was to head up Roosevelt but the west slopes were covered in debris so I decided to head up Wright Mountain and stick to south aspects. Once I made it to Gem Lake I followed a skin track that group from Sunday put up to the summit. Rather than following their ski track back down the ridge I opted to ski the south face. It was a fun, fairly steep but short run back to Gem Lake. From there it was time to head home. I skied down to Snow Lake, across to the west end fighting a cold head wind, up and over the divide, around Source Lake and back to Alpental. The total distance was about 7.5 miles with 4,200 feet in elevation.

Overall it was a beautiful day to be out in the mountains.

Chaco on Snow Lake

IMGP5904.JPG

Looking down to Snow Lake on the way up Wright

IMGP5906.JPG

Chair Peak, Kaleetan Peak and Mt Roosevelt

IMGP5911.JPG

Chair Peak from the summit of Wright

IMGP5913.JPG

Chaco on Gem Lake

IMGP5916.JPG

The line I skiied on the south face of Wright

IMGP5918.JPG