[TR] bishop ca - happy boulders 12/17/2010 updated

Lucky Larry

Trip: bishop ca - happy boulders

Date: 12/17/2010

Trip Report:

in bishop ca now , snow/rain tody, local said clears up fast, got 2 days bouldring in before it hit

, going to stick for now, heard JT flash flood warning, let me know where u go, maybe see u guys, thanks, do not speed, I got ticket south of susanville; and have met 2 other climbers got pinched too! one of them told me he met someone that got 3 speeding tickets in ca, safe travels most awesome boulders for every level

Edited by Lucky Larry

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was climbing with Kenny and Justin Friday. We tried to find ice and ended up on rock. such is life. it as good to be outside and even the sun came out in the afternoon.

Yes Larry, tear it up man! We are all jealous. There is already about 6 inches of new snow at my house this morning, so prospects for more climbing in the near future are out the door.

Edited by stevetimetravlr

This is a story, if it bores you, please try writing one. It begins with a superstitious grand pappy driving for too many hours while heading south in search of the warm globe in the sky and mythic awesome stone. Only G-pappy breaks his #1 rule: do not get in a hurry. Just north of susanville ca going south I pull out to pass a car to get to a rest room i know is just ahead. Wha' wha' Caly trooper passes me and I get pegged doing 81 in a 65. As the trooper pulls away after giving me my ticket I break down crying. Do'h, I'm an idiot.

I head south again and stop at the rest area 2 miles further down the road.

A day later after sleeping in my suzuki RV, for one, I makes it to the 'milks' to be greeted by a gale force wind. Dag'nabit, I'm go'in for a walk anyway. I make it back to the car before getting blown away. Baby pooh. I thought I read the winds were not to be as bad as JT.

I go the long way to PV pit campground where it 'seems' to be not as windy--$2 per night per car for a craper that is cleaner than camp four is; well worth it to a cheep, I mean frugal, guy like me. Besides, not shitting everywhere seems to be a good idea. The big blow dies early in the evening.

I have a visit with my oldest brother in a dream that night and wake up crying--he just passed away two months before. This a.m. I'm realizing I am not the only idiot to get a speeding ticket. The officer is just doing his job; he doesn't give a fig if I had just passed a car; "I don't know how they do it in Oregon but exceeding the speed limit to pass is illegal" he had said. The lucky part is he made the ticket out for 79, not 81 which is considered reckless driving and could have got me arrested.

Joel Springer, from Smith R., rides up and says he is just leaving; he's been climbing here for two weeks, already.

I enjoy the ambiance of the place, by staying out of the car, and walk to the happy boulders, which turn out to be a happy playground for itinerant Grand-pappies. I get in another walk and play day at the happy boulders the next day before the rain/snow hits; the forecast is more of the same on NOAA. My knee is sore and I decide not to wait out a week in the rain just to have to leave anyway.

Sooo much driving for soooo little climbing. As most of you know, the climbing is just the tip of the ice berg as far as the whole climbing trip story goes: The epic driving and white knuckle road conditions, scenery, happy locals, wrong turns, cool people along the way, mystery, superstitious coincidences, geographical ambiance, signs, hidden mystery, insights, hindsights, headlights, lights out.

DSCN0443.JPG

Pleasant Valley with volcanic tableland rim rock

DSCN0438.JPG

The view from the rim of PV pit CG

DSCN0442.JPG

Pleasant Valley walk to Happy Boulders

DSCN04501.JPG

This guy named Michael walks a V7

DSCN0451.JPG

DSCN0454.JPG

DSCN0446.JPG

Feeling Lucky on some V minus-minus for vigor

Just imagine the time when there was a little baby Santa in the manger on x-mas. This is my present to you. Peas out!

Edited by Lucky Larry