Scarpa Mont Blanc fit

ulu

So, I just bought a pair of thses boots for winter in the Sierras, and I'm not quite sure ahout what is the best fit for a mountaineering (vs hiking) boot. When standing in these, my feet feel very comfortable, and I can wiggle my toes freely. When walking the heel moves about 1/4 inch, and the boot feels very comfortable. If I scuff forward, my toes barely feel the front of the boot (when wearing a mid-weight wool sock) but definitely do not jam. I'm wondering if this is a good fit, or if I should try a half size up. I wear 11.5 street shoe, and I got a 45.5 (11 3/4 us) boot size. Any advice? I did a search, but didn't really find this exact question.

Thanks

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your description, you're probably in the right ballpark as it is. The key things you mention, IMHO, is that the heel lifts a bit, but that you can still feel the front of the boot if you tap the boot against something. It might help if you can find something to stand on the tip of the toe (stairs, rock gym holds) to mimick front pointing to see if you can keep the heel lift controlled, and then perhaps a steep sidewalk to mimick hiking/approach feel. (Work with me here; just trying to find an environment that would keep them looking like new in case you decide to return them.)

I own a set, and the lacing system is pretty good; makes them pretty forgiving. I'm guessing they're going to become my go-to boot for most everything. They're warm on an unplanned bivouac at reasonable temps (but below freezing), supportive for endless moderate ice, and sensitive enough for standing on small edges of rock. They hike just fine, too, but keep the ankle loose; I didn't see them flexing at all in the sole (not that they're supposed to).

Enjoy them, I'm sure enjoying mine.