[TR] Leavenworth - Upper Castle Rock 3/4/2010

jcp

Trip: Leavenworth - Upper Castle Rock

Date: 3/4/2010

Trip Report:

My friend and I headed out to Leavenworth to see what rock we could get on. It turns out there is plenty of good stuff closer to the mouth of icicle creek, as long as it is south facing. We decided on Castle Rock, since there were some routes I wanted to hop on. Lower Castle was a pretty wet mess, with the moss holding too much frost and dripping it down all over the routes. We headed up to the base of Jello Tower and started there. There is a small pile of snow in front of Angel, but other than that it is pretty dry on the ground. Early the cracks for Midway and Midway direct were wet, but dried as the day went on. It was a little wet behind Jello Tower, but not too bad. You just had to avoid some of the wetter spots on the wall. If you want the sun on you and the rock, wait until 9:30-10:00. That was when the climbs really came into the sun. We played around on a few different climbs, then headed into L-worth for the evening.

8 mile campground is snowed in, but you can camp there if you walk in and don't mind sleeping on snow. On day 2 I brought my friend to Mountaineers Dome for some anchor building practice and to get him on his first lead climb. Again, it was a warm pleasant day, and a good time overall.

Gear Notes:

Water, Avocado, Carrots, Turkey, and Fig Newtons. Oh yeah, and a rack.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic