kalaloch ruby beach bouldering

markwebster

Anyone ever climb that 50 foot seastack at ruby beach at kalaloch? the wife forced me to take a weekend off from climbing and we went out there, I'm a painter as well. The first seastack you come to on the beach at the ruby beach trailhead is about 50 feet high and has a lovely south face route. It's very solid, sticky and feels kind of like sandstone. Seems about 5.6ish. I got 25 feet up it before coming to my senses. No rope, shoes, helmet, rockshoes. A barefoot idiot. Wife was at the bottom telling me she wasn't going to spot me. 50 tourist had their cameras out waiting for blood.

I was really tempted to go for the top. Has anyone done it? I'm tempted to go back with a rope and helmet. No place for pro, but I imagine you might be able to throw a rope over the top somewhere for a micky mouse lower down scenario...or at least a tight rope on the downclimb.

This isn't that seastack, but the one in question is just south of where I stood to make this painting. I am looking north in this view from ruby beach.

5289_1219187397088_1151007354_30656069_5097004_n.jpg

anda photo of the same place for scale:

5289_1219187357087_1151007354_30656068_8362743_n.jpg

If you've never been there, its about 70 minutes up the coast (north) from Aberdeen.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have climbed it many years ago. I just solo'ed it. The crux is 5.6 ish and you should still land in the sand if you fell. Not bad. The rock is good till the angle drops off up on the "summit ridge".

I like the painting. Many good memoires from that beach. There is also some good climbing on the beach between Ruby and Kalaloch which is in it self, a nice 6-7 mile hike along the beach.

Edited by Ishmael