My clove hitch is mirrored -- is this a problem?

newclimber01

I would guess not, but the way I tie my clove hitches causes the final knot to be mirrored from the normal version.

I.e. the left strand goes under and the right strand goes over, rather than the right strand under, left strand over.

I can post diagrams if people don't understand.

Is this a problem? I can't see how it could?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it shouldn't matter whether the cross is right-to-left or left-to right.

but, it is recommended that if you're clove-hitching into a 'biner that the load-bearing exit strand is the one closest to the spine of the 'biner. just make sure you're doing that right, and you should be fine.

...it is recommended that if you're clove-hitching into a 'biner that the load-bearing exit strand is the one closest to the spine of the 'biner. ...

I can see how this would be somewhat stronger because it keeps the load closer to the spine (similar to the reasons behind the design of a 'D'?). At a glance, it seems like a minimal reduction though; are you aware of any testing done on this? Also, is there some other reason as well?

Thanks

Well, I didn't have a particular study in mind - just knew that I'd read that before in multiple places.

But a quick google search turned up this test (which I hadn't seen before) that the AMGA had Blue Water Ropes perform on an HMS biner:

Clove Hitch Link

When the knot was tied incorrectly, with the load strand farthest away from the spine of the carabiner, it was found that the knot tried to align itself with the spine at 250 lbs., and carabiner failure occurred–before rope breakage–at approximately 38% below the carabiner's rated strength.

(See link for a picture of what's considered incorrect load orientation)