Valhallas to Olympus Traverse via Athena?

achykneesplease

This coming July a friend and I are considering a traverse that would take us up the South Fork Hoh to the Valhallas then follow the ridge between the Valhallas and Athena. From Athena, we would climb East Peak and then decend the Hoh glacier to Camp Pan ultimately making our way over to the Bailey range. I've crossed the Bailey so I know what to expect there, but worry about the ridge between the Valhallas and Athena.

Specifically, I'm concerned about the second half of the ridge as it ascends to Athena. The two trip reports I've read about this section make is sound very sketchy. In one TR, they abandoned the ridge entirely and ascended the Hubert glacier until they reached the ridge between Mount Tom and the West Peak. In another report, they reached Athena, but only after traversing over to Jeffers glacier (this TR was a little vague regarding this section and sounded like they got into a very dangerous situation at one point).

Following are links to the reports...

NWMH Issue 3

Sebegg - Olympic Mountain Traverse

I'm hoping there is someone out there that could post some pictures from the ridge or offer some beta. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by achykneesplease

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

my dream has always been to traverse the western ridge of mt olympus from where the south and north fork river split. Everything I am reading talks of following the entirety of the south fork to the valhallas.

Am i right?

If so, does anyone know about following the direct western ridge of mt olympus from its base?