lost black ice tool on Mt. Hood on Jan. 16, 2009

leora

It may have been plowed into the snowbank at the top of Palmer, so might peak out in spring or summer, but it's also possible that it was dropped anywhere along the way, from in the parking lot probably only until the top of Palmer, since we're sure that we would have noticed it fall anytime after that. We didn't see it on the way down, so we're kind of hoping that some kind soul who reads Cascade Climbers found it and is awaiting this post. . .

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leora--

I saw your ice tool. Coming down the south side, I saw it sticking up in the snow about 300 feet above the Palmer lift. I sat there for 15 minutes debating whether to take and post here, or to leave it in hopes that the person who left it was still coming down.

I obviously made the wrong call... Really sorry. Hope it finds its way back to you...

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw your response to the lost ice tool (I've had poor connectivity to the internet for a while). DANG it!!!! And 3 of us actually looked for it. Do you happen to remember WHEN you saw it? One member of our party left the Hogsback at around 10am to go down and look for it (he's the one who lost it, and it actually belonged to a buddy of his), and it couldn't have taken him more than an hour or so to get down there. I'll bet someone else figured they'd scored when they found it!

On Hood, I've decided that the best thing is to return lost gear to the Day Lodge lost and found. We did look there in the hopes that someone turned it in. Coming down when they are closed makes that tough, of course, but one can still call the Lost and Found during the day and report finding lost gear in case someone put in a report (which we did). . .

Oh, oh, oh - so sad. I can just imagine you (even though I don't know what you look like) sitting there pondering what to do. . .