Chimney Rock, ID

dugger

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Randy G. (ex-Sandpoint native and guidebook author), it's a 5.3.

Go for it Dugger! The Pack River side is a great way to approach: it gives you opportunity to scope out the beautiful east face, and avoids the up-and-down of the Horton-Roothann Ridge/Priest Lake approach on the west side.

Weather should be good. Have fun guys: hope to see a TR with pics.

Yeah one book calls it 5.3 another upgrades it to 5.5 or 5.6. Regardless it's a fairly easy route. I've been forced to bail off of it and really want to climb it before the season is over. I normally go to the west side trailhead but I wouldn't mind driving over to the pack river trailhead. And I would be more than happy to lead the whole thing. Do you have much alpine experience?

Do you have much alpine experience?

I pretty much only climb in my gym.

I have done Alpine Crack tho. 5.4+ or so.

I'd link a pic but I can't get into my photobucket account.

I'll check with the wife on a kitchen pass and get back to you.

Pasha

OK, I'm out.

Too bad, Pasha. You'd of eaten it up and been a good local to show Dugger around. The West Face Standard Route climbs mostly like face or slab, although there's a little chimney section too. Lots of climbing to be done around Chimney as well.

And, yeah, that little move or two down low on the first pitch isn't bad, only a tad awkward, although I can see why some might say it could be 5.6.

I'm working this weekend, Dugger. Hope you find somebody else. Weather will be good and late summer and fall is a perfect time to be up on Chimney.

Cheers, Steve