deception crags nesting clousure

Alasdair

I just got a mail from a birders mailing list and there is an active peregrine nest at the deception crags very close to climbs. I have not been up there so I do not know exactly where it is. The DNR has been up there and has confirmed it. If anyone knows exactly where this is please add it to this thread. If you are planning on going to this area please look first for the nest and do not climb near it. If I am up there I will try to locate it and put a sign near the routes. This is a very popular area for all user groups not just climbers so keep in mind climbing near the nest will not make the climbing community look good.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have binoculars and see the Peregrines flying, a young fledge will have a brown breast, and a fairly pronounced whitish 1" or so stripe along the trailing edge of it's tail which is easier to see from the top of the bird than the bottom. If you see a fledge flying and flying competently then you should notify the DNR and birders that they've fledged and the chicks are flying competently already and so maybe the closure could be lifted. You also might simply asked the birders list and DNR and ask if the chicks have fledged yet.

I just got a mail from a birders mailing list and there is an active peregrine nest at the deception crags very close to climbs. I have not been up there so I do not know exactly where it is. The DNR has been up there and has confirmed it. If anyone knows exactly where this is please add it to this thread. If you are planning on going to this area please look first for the nest and do not climb near it. If I am up there I will try to locate it and put a sign near the routes. This is a very popular area for all user groups not just climbers so keep in mind climbing near the nest will not make the climbing community look good.

I am not familiar with the area but aren't the crags under DNR control not at Deception Crags but at the Far Side?