the brohters conditions

minx

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there about 2 weeks ago. Reached snow around Lena Forks campsites.

South Coulier - trail up to base of climb had off and on snow. Coulier still filled in well with snow.

North Brother - Up the East Fork of Lena Creek had snow turning to "fun" bushwack at end of the valley. From the South Brother summit the Great Basin still looked to contain alot of snow.

I climbed the standard route on June 23, and conditions were pretty good.

There was just a little snow on the upper trail, and patchy snow around the creek where the climbers' path leaves the trail and heads up. The broad, lower slope beyond the "nose" was completely covered in snow. The upper couloir also was totally coated, with moats between snow and rock in a couple of places. I used axe and crampons, as hard snow below the soft surface made it difficult for me to kick reliable steps or plunge step on the way down the couloir.

I found that a fire in 2006 has made the bushwacking a bit more tedious than it was previously.

According to a coworker of mine who went up 2 weeks ago:

"Snow spotty-moderate along the ‘climbers trail’ after lena lake to the base of the ascent. Snow all the way up the ascent starting around 3200-3300 feet until just before the summit scramble. It was pretty wet on the way down, near the summit we could have used crampons – it was steep (50-55) and icy at parts. We didn’t put ours on in part because we were evading a pissed off mountain goat….

"