[TR] Guye Peak - South Gully scramble low-fifth 6

rock-ice

Trip: Guye Peak - South Gully scramble low-fifth

Date: 6/26/2008

Trip Report:

My brother called me Thursday around 9 and said he was heading to Ellensburg to deliver checks for his boss, he wanted to know if I wanted a ride to the pass. Of course I did. I grabbed my backpack, prepacked for just such an occasion. Around 10:15 I was dropped off below the talus field which climbs to the obvious west face of guye peak.

west_face1.JPG

I stuck to the snow on the right hand side of the talus field for a quick jaunt up to the south shoulder where a deer tried to hit me with some choss he knocked off.

deer1.JPG

I traversed and ascended on snow through the trees under the south rib to the base of the south gulley. The climbing was surprisingly fun. I stayed mostly on the rib just right of the gulley where the climbing was solid and at times steep. There were a couple steps of low fifth class, but nothing of any serious difficulty.

south_gulley.JPG

The view towards Chair Peak:

chair.JPG

Despite the reputation I found the rock solid and juggy. The views onto I-90 and eastwards were nice. Near the top rainier popped out the complete the experience.

rainier1.JPG

There was still a little bit of snow on top and on the descent. I don't know what the secret is on the descent, however I would imagine staying on the south side of the stream would be beneficial as I enjoyed a bushwack descent combined with tree branch reppelling to get down on the north side.

I emerged from the brush just as my brother drove past to park in the apental parking lot where I found him 5 minutes later. Round trip about 2 hours.

descent.JPG

If you don't have much time or a partner, this is a fun little climb which probably doesn't see too much action.

Gear Notes:

Ice Axe

MP3

Approach Notes:

none. thats the beauty.

Edited by rock-ice

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic