Boot fit

acarp

I searched and came up with nothing, so excuse me if it's a repost...

I found a nice deal on a pair of Koflach Verticals. As some of you may have seen my other post, I'm looking to take an alpine class to test the waters (well, snow and ice I guess). Yes, I realize I could probably rent, but for the price and what I would probably put out to rent, I'd rather just have my own.

So here's my ? I wear an 8.5 sneaker most of the time. Occassionally I will wear a 9 with some brands. What sizing should I be looking at? It's mail order, so I can't really try before I buy. What else should I consider? Good boot for what I'm thinking? I've seen where a lot of double plastic are going away.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Plastic boots do a pretty good job of packing out to fit your foot. Those koflach boots are pretty soft for a plastic, and while you aren't going to get into french technique or anything, They aren't really that much stiffer or heavier than my full leathers.

That being said, I would really hesitate to buy boots online (especially leathers). When you calculate the number of miles you intend to put on your boots, you really want the comfort to be there.

I am a little behind the times when it comes to boots, but last I remember, koflach boots fit wide feet pretty well.

I had a friend who used EMS for mail order, and they would fit you as best they could if you sent in a tracing of your foot. I am not sure if this is still offered, but might be an avenue worth looking into.

Not knowing you, your feet, your type of climbing, or what VA is like I would suggest going with the lightest, most flexible mountain boot you can get by with. It will not have the kick ass ice stomping ability of doubles, but will be easier on your knees for approaches, and save you from carrying approach shoes in addition to your pack.

I am thinking along the lines of LaSportiva Makalu / Asolo Glacier, full leather, full shank with a bit of flex and camber for the hiking, rubber rand, etc.

But for sure, ignore the price tag and go with what fits.

I'm looking to take an Alpine class in August on Mt. Baker (or on a small friendly trip if someone wants to take a newbie). I hope to use these boots there and many future trips as well. Every now and then we get some ice in my neck of the woods and after I have some equipment and knowledge, I'd be more prone for some ice climbing. I realize fit is the most important thing, but there isn't a store within many miles of me that could even fit me for a boot of this type. I'm guessing worst case scenario, if they don't fit, I can always send them back. Sure, I'm out some shipping costs, but it would be much cheaper than me driving to the closest place to get fitted.

You're gonna have a heck of a time finding Koflach boots since they don't make them any longer.

And really there's no good reason to buy plastic boots unless you're going way up high - leather boots are gonna fit a ton better, are lighter, more comfortable and climb better than plastics.

A pair of Freney's, Super Latoks or Nepal Evo's are gonna take a you a long ways.

Beginner: plastic or leather?

Plastic boots have very rigid soles, which are not so good for the 8 mile hike in to a climb. Plastic boots are not very suited to climbing on rocky pinnacles. In my 20 years of experience, and multiple pairs of boots, the best most versatile boot is a medium weight leather with goretex liner. This type of boot is reasonably light weight, substantial enough to keep your toes warm in freezing temps, reasonably water-proof, and flexible enought for hiking and climbing rock. Two examples are 1. LOWA Mountain Expert GTX and 2. LaSportiva Glacier EVO (or Makalu). Treat all leather boots with TECHRON spray to make them waterproof. See REI at http://www.rei.com/category/4501296

The class does recommend plastic boots, especially for the non-summer months (doesn't apply to me since I'm taking it in the summer). I'm a newbie to this sort of thing, so I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible. I'm really hoping that after taking the class that "Aplinism" and I will begin a beautiful friendship which will include many other ascents. Even if I may not need plastic right now, I'd like to know that if I try anything later on, my feet will still be in good shape.

I do have a pair of Makalu's I purchased a couple years ago for backpacking. I love 'em, but I didn't think they would be warm enough for constant snow and ice.