Lost a ski on Mt. Hood

RJRiha

Yesterday (6/8/08), I had a great climb of Mt. Hood, reaching the summit via the west crater. I started skiing from the hogsback and got a few turns before disaster struck. My dynafit binding inadvertently released at the toe, and my ski went tumbling into the Devil's Kitchen fumarole area. I looked all over and couldn't find it. It appears as though the only place it could have ended up is in one of the caves carved out from the hot sulfur gas, but I can't be sure it didn't just skip over and end up somewhere below Steel Cliffs. Does the Devil's Kitchen area melt out in the summer?

If anyone happens to find an Atomic RT86 ski with a Dynafit binding, please message me. I'll pay a nice reward of $150 if I can get that ski back.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to hear about that, definatly makes for a bad day.

what color/design is the top, and base?

do you think it could have continued down past the fumeroles into the white river drainage?

B042280R_ATM01-4981839.gif

That is the top. The base is a greyish color with the Atomic logo.

I think it's pretty unlikely that the ski continued into that drainage. The area under Steel Cliffs looked pretty covered in rocks and I would expect it to stop somewhere.....however it is always possible that it popped over there and kept going.

From the direction it was heading and what other people saw, I think it's most likely under the snow in a cave carved out by the hot volcanic gas. I don't know the extent that it melts out during the summer....

Edited by malcolm777b

I'm sorry to hear about your lost ski. I had a similar story the previous Saturday. Skinned into the crater, climbed to the summit and then back to the splitboad which slipped away from me as I was reassembling it.

I know that it's a sad and long slog down!

One half was reported found by a kind climber who made a post on this site. Keep your hopes up. Someone may find your ski.