Oly Climbing guidebook 1988 vs 2006

johndavidjr

I do somewhat appreciate that lots of people worked hard on 2006 volume, but I've gotta say after a year or so of reviewing both my copies... I'm inclined to sell my 2006 edition and hold on to the 1988 edition.

There really aren't many substantive differences apart from the misguided larger format, and additions about cragging on Olympics, which probably has value, but isn't something I'm much interested in.

There is perhaps room for an "Olympics Select" volume. Let's hope it's edited according an entirely different standard relative to Mountaineers Books "Select" series.

I have many specific criticisms regarding this series that I mainly won't mention. Let it suffice to say that including 5.13 climbs in certain of these "select" volumes from Mountaineers, isn't useful for most people, let alone Mountaineers' membership....

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say, I like the size of the '88 version a bit more! As far as the content, I applaud efforts to add information to the book regarding available sport and alpine rock climbing areas, not that Olympic rock is the best, but there are many fun lines out there. As you said, it probably has value, so if you do have an interest, the new version is useful.