VertFest

benb

Anyone have any info on ski mountaineering comps? I thougth that hitting up the USSMA contests that make it out to the west side would be fun. Seeing that a $60 entry fee could get me one or two runs down the mountain, I signed up in the 2 lap race division. I have not competed in an event like this and was wondering If anyone had any constructive advice or links.

What equiment will the fast guys be on?

What pack system works well?

What hydration system will I see?

Are there points for the person who suffers the most?

Thanks Ben B

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear you're going to race. The events are a lot of fun and somewhat addictive.

All the fast guys are going to be on 160-165 cm lightweight race skis with dynafit bindings. 100% mohair skins are the fastest(Ski Trab, Dynafit, Colltex, in 60 0r 70mm width). Most use a bungee tip which makes it much easier to rip skins without taking off your skis. climbingskinsdirect.com makes a great skin that I cut wall to wall, with tail hook, which I've been using with great results for the steeper, technical climbs. Always carry extra skins.

Use the absolutely smallest pack that you can fit a small shovel in(The Snow Claw is preferred by racers, but we don't bring them in the back country). An inexpensive and very good pack option is the CAMP XLP 290(Try Mountain Gear . It's also a great all-around super light day pack for trail running. It has a speed ski-carry attachment and a Velcro-ed bottom pocket for skins or crampons. This means that you can put skins on or put skis on the pack without taking it off, which is crucial for fast racing. Dynafit, Ski Trab, and Ortovox also make good race packs, or if you're so inclined, both of these functions can be home-brewed with a pack you already own.

World Cup racers all use Nordic race poles, but I think for most of our courses carbon adjustable poles work just as well and sometimes better. If you opt for Nordic poles, get the biggest baskets you can find and cut them to about 10-20 cm less than your regular nordic length.

Scarpa F1's or Dynafit Race Pro are the best boots, if you can afford them. If not, use what you've got. Some of the happiest skiers I see after the race are on Fritschi's, 4 buckle boots and fat boards.

You'll see a lot of hydration bladders, but I think a water bottle holder on your pack strap is the way to go. This is also an easy home-brew modification. No point in lugging around 8 pounds of water you can't get at when your tube freezes.

If you plan on racing hard at all, dress much lighter than you would for a typical outing. You can keep a lightweight shell in your pack if you get cold. I don't think it's worth skimping on gloves, but I'm a wimp about racing with cold hands.

Yes, you get lots of style points for creative suffering. I use to enjoy crumpling to the snow with leg cramps, but I've kind of played that one out.

Good luck at Vertfest. OR puts on a great race and provides great prize money and schwag. All the US Ski Mountaineering Team will be racing in Switzerland at the World Championships that week, so the odds just got better.

Scott

Coldiron,

The man himself. Thank you for your help and advise. I heeded the post before yours and goggled your name. I feel a bit like a stalker. While checking out all the sites that came up, one including a Coldiron family reunion, I was able to learn a lot about the “fast” gear. My gear budget for the year is well over spent, much to the dismay of my wife. If I come home with anything else that I NEED to survive, I will be at the bottom, in deep powder, without any skins.

I do ski on dynafits, not the ultra light race model, but much lighter than other AT systems. I do have 4 buckle boots and fat skies which will make the descents fun. As far as the climbs, I see myself getting a better workout than the properly equipped racer.

Are helmets required?

Is there any technical climbing gear needed? (ice axe, crampons, ascension device) If not, are there any races that do require it?

How strict are the regulations on modified/homemade gear? I read somewhere that shovel alterations would not be allowed.

Have you ever tried the “snow claw” in avalanche debris?

Do you use or carry ski crampons?

Extra skins?

I am bummed you guys wont be at Chrystal Mt. Will you be at Alpental later in the month? If so, I hope to see you there.

Best of luck in Switzerland. Show them how we do it in the PNW.

Cheers,

Ben