Adams Glacier

adr_901

Climbed the Adams Glacier route this weeked. We encountered only one other party. The conditions of the route were overall good. There was a large amount of avalanche debris on the lower ice field were a large part of that face slid down. Up higher the conditions were a bit icy but not too bad. I used a second ice tool, my partner did not. Crevases were not a problem. The few snow bridges we had to cross were solid. The upper aspect of the route also had recent slab avalanches but seemed stable at the time, but could potentially be a problem in the near future. Overall the route is in good shape but I suspect it wont remain that way for long.

By the way I lost my Black Diamond carbon prophet on the decent on the North Ridge. If anyone comes across it I would greatly appreciate its return!!!! REWARDS!!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Breit and I were the second party you mention, Sunday. We tagged the top and were at the top of the N Ridge going down when you guys hit the summit plateu and were taking a break past the 'schrund. Long walk to that there summit!

Anyway, should anyone have ideas to go climb Adams Gl. I would suggest you do it soon, as there are already some interesting bridges that, once gone, will make the route a lot trickier.

Hope you get the Prophet back,

Alex

Chugach - There is a 50/50 chance a partner and I will be attempting either the Adams Glacier, or the North Face of NW Ridge (Gilvler route) this weekend, and descend the North Ridge. IF we go, I'll look for it. Where specifically did you lose it on the ridge?

BTW - How did the NFNWR/Givler route look?

Thanks snow leopard. I think it was high on the ridge below the snow field, to mid way down is when I noticed it missing. It has a red leash.

I didnt look at the NW ridge in much detail. but it seemed like there was not much rockfall at its base. I can see it becoming a bowling alley when the temps go up though.

Good luck

As to the conditions on Adams Glacier, I do not know. We met two guys on July 13 coming down near the PCT who said they'd gone up the Adams Glacier. They carried refrigerators on their backs and used poles in their hands to support/balance all the weight.

It did look like the lower part of the glacier provided access to the route, but the NFNWR route had plenty of water ice on it so I wonder if this would be true for conditions on the glacier too.

[This message has been edited by Pencil Pusher (edited 07-15-2001).]