Crampons for Jeffy this weekend?

cluck

I know some years it's melted out by now and some years it holds snow thru September, but does anybody know what the Terrible Traverse looks like right now? We're headed up to battle the graham crackers this weekend and it would be great to leave the pons behind and carry something more valueable instead (:brew:).

Sounds like the traverse on North Sister may have melted out early so I'm inclined to hope that Jeffy did too. If anybody was up there this last weekend I'd love to hear from ya.

Oh - and if anyone else is planning on heading up there this coming weekend beware - the Mazamas website shows a full climb scheduled for Sunday. Could be a bit of a crowd up there.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We rolled the dice and left the rope behind... good call:

Jeffy_012-sm.jpg

The snowfield was easily bypassed by scrambling down the mud and welded rocks and back up the other side. No crampons, ice axe, or rope required. The slog up to the Red Saddle was miserable, loose and a huge pain in the ass. I guess that's why everyone advises against climbing this time of year. Fortunately the upper mountain was fairly enjoyable and the scree-bomb back down was quick & painless.