[TR] Mount Stuart - West Ridge 8/4/2007

ClimbingPanther

Trip: Mount Stuart - West Ridge

Date: 8/4/2007

Trip Report:

Pics to come later...

Travis and I took off from the car at 7am Saturday to get as far as we could and bivy wherever we ended up at nightfall. Knowing the potential for epic-ing the west ridge and having never done the route before, we were mentally prepared for some suffering and a very long trip. However, we managed to come reasonably close to the 6 hour time recommended in the Beckey guide! We summitted at 4:30 and arrived back at Ingalls creek by 8:00. Remembering key details of the route and always choosing the path of least resistance led us all the way to the summit with no more than 20 feet of backtracking. Only belayed the last mini-pitch with the fixed piton below the summit. Hiked out over Long's Sunday morning and were eating Subway in Ellensburg by 10:45 am.

Unfortunately, something had to go wrong or it wouldn't have been a true "First Time Up The West Ridge Adventure", so I decided to leave one of my partner's climbing shoes (which we didn't even use - boots only) in Cascadian on the descent... REWARD TO THE LUCKY SHOE-FINDER WHO BRINGS IT BACK HOME!!! SEE THREAD BELOW FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO GET RICH FAST!!!

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=27&Number=711212&Searchpage=2&Main=53302&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post711212

Snow still exists on route in one large patch by Long John Tower, and at several places between the top of Cascadian & the false summit. No trickles while we were there, but could be melted for water if you want it.

some rocks

IMG_0620.jpg

where did we spot that :pagetop: ? I'm getting hungry

IMG_0625.jpg

ingalls

IMG_0628.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

see larger version: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/509/untitled-2.jpg

Gear Notes:

Cams 0.5-3 (3 not used)

Nuts ??? 5-8 ???

Tri-Cams 0.5-2

Would go with less next time, probably cutting out the nuts first... that came out wrong

Approach Notes:

In Ingalls, Out Long's (Long's Pass trail intersects Ingalls Creek trail upstream of Cascadian's descent trail - not marked on USGS quads)

Edited by ClimbingPanther

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic