Bees on Saber at Castle Rock

AR_Guy

I took a couple of friends up Saber yesterday - this was their first experience on both multi-pitch and trad routes. 3 cars in the lot, 3 parties on Saber (go figure).

Anyways - be warned that there are bees about 3/4 the way up the first pitch, just at start of the slabby section, on the right, at the top of the corner, 20 or so feet before heading out left to the 1st belay on Saber ledge.

The first party on the route was walking down and warned us while we were waiting for our turn at the route. The first two of party immediately ahead of us on the route seemed to make it past OK, but the third (the daughter of the first two) let out a series of shrieks when she came up to the bees (which let us know exactly where the little buggers were).

I and the other two in my group managed to get by unstung. I placed a piece several feet below where they were to cover the speed climbing I planned to do, then moved out left in a hurry on to the bottom edge of the slab - sliding left as quick and as far as I could to get away.

Other than the bees, it was a fine day for climbing. A little on the warm side, but a light breeze on the route kept it reasonable.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic