Crag At The End of The Universe - Awesome Rock!

512dude

What: In the winter of 2007 two local PNW climbers left for South Africa to get a taste of the famed and highly acclaimed rock climbing in Waterval Boven. Said to be some of the best climbing on the planet and kept a local secret, it was time to check this out for real. What these guys didn't know is that they would get involved with making climbing a part of a social-economic solution to address local issues such as unemployment, crime and issues of inequality. Together in discussions with local climbers Gustav Janse van Rensburg and Glenn Harrison and local land owners a plan was hatched and a non-profit was established to provide funding for:

(a) training and employing locals in support of outdoor recreation activities

(b) procuring access to local lands for trail building/maintenance and crag development/maintenance

© facility improvements for climbers and outdoor enthusiasts

(d) promotion and education of outdoor activities

To help support the non-profit's goals, I am selling guidebooks to the area on behalf of Roc'n Rope (www.rocrope.com) and its' principle Gustav Janse van Rensburg. At the same time Glenn Harrison has attempted the 2007 Freedom Challenge, a 2300km mountain bike ride across South Africa to help raise more funds for the project (http://www.rocrope.com/mtbike.html)

You too can help us and get a gift in return. Make a $25 donation and as a gift you will receive the guide book "THE RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE CRAGS".

The guide book is in color and describes over 500 sport and trad climbs. It is complete with color photos, overview maps, route descriptions, details about traveling to and around South Africa, places to eat and stay, shops, services and contains a brief history of the area as well. I have included sample photos from the book as well.

Where: Waterval Boven, Mpumalanga Province, South Africa

When: September - April (southern hemisphere reverse seasons)

Why: Climb some of the best rock this planet has to offer with awesome alternate activities including bouldering, white water rafting, mountain biking, trail running, caving, hiking and quick access to Kruger Wildlife Reserve, Swaziland and Mozambique. Now there are about 800+ routes all of high quality on solid quartzite rock including the 5 star Snap Dragon and the 5.14 Jabberwocky.

Please contact me at climb@miraiusa.com if you are interested in helping out.

Thanks!

cover.jpg

map1.jpg

sample_page.jpg

Daddy.jpg

WHO'S YOUR DADDY - 5.10a (not kidding!)

Lotters.jpg

LOTTER'S DESIRE - 5.12

I considered where I should post this but none of the other forum topics seemed more appropriate so my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Edited by 512dude

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic