S Sister

mr.cable

I have climbed the S. Sister numerous times without snow, but I wanted to hear a little wisdom before I do my first ski-in and climb on the 28th-29th of this month. First, in reading past posts, I see that the highway to the mountain is closed, so one starts from the Bachelor parking lot, correct? Feel free to give me a better idea, but as I look at my topo map, it seems that the best way to the base of the mountain is to follow (ski) the highway over the drainages and then more or less follow the summer trail up over the ridge to the plateau. Good, or is there a better way? I am figuring 3-4 hours from the parking lot to the base of the mountain.... Last question, on a weekend, I am assuming there will be other climbers on the mountain, yes?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A few other options:

1- Try to hitch a tow on a snowmobile.

2- Wait a few more weeks until the road is plowed out (should be earlier than the normal Memorial Weekend this year).

But if you do choose to make the slog, I would suggest hiking up the Fall Creek drainaige (Green Lakes Trailhead). This will save you some mileage from not having to hike to Devils Lake, and I feel it gives you some pretty fun ski options other than the 'normal' south side route.

The route takes you between the two lava flows on the SE side of the mountain and connects you in with the standard climb route by the Lewis glacier moraine.

Here is some pics of the area:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=460577

have fun!