Lasportiva HyperGuide vs Trango Extreme

goatboy

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about these boots and their weaknesses or merits.

I'm looking to buy a boot that is good to approach and climb in (rather than carrying extra rock shoes).

The HyperGuide is less rigid than the Trango, but they both have sticky rubber rands and seem good for things like N Ridge of Stuart and/or Serpentine Arete.

I know there was a thread back in march about different approach boots, but wanted to see if there was any new opinions 6 months later.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a pair of Trango extremes. I don't think they're a good mountain boot. Too stiff on rock, yet at the same time lack ankle support when walking on frozen, sun cupped glaciers or stumbling around on wet rock slides. The soles also offer poor traction in muddy or snowy conditions. You might consider the Kayland Giove kevlar. Very light with a better stiffness compromise for alpine rock. They don't seem as breathable as Trangos, but out of the box you could probably walk the AT in the things. In terms of warmth they're similar; both offer cold toes on belays below about -10 or 15C. One nice aspect of the kevlars is the fact that they don't stretch after getting them wet. Having seemingly hyped the kevlar however, I've got to admit that I prefer a leather boot.

GB

I got the Hyperguides in late spring and am really impressed with them.

One of the first things I did with them was the West Ridge on the North Twin Sister. The route is mostly 4th class but it snowed the whole day and all the rock was wet yet I don't remember these shoes slipping at all.

I also did W Ridge on Forbidden and N Ridge on Stuart in them this summer.

I use Black Diamond Contact crampons with them and they work great as an all around approach shoe.

Can't comment on the Trango's.

Good luck.