Hanging Stoves

jrwclimbs

Has anyone used the new MSR hanging stove set up? Are you happy with it?

I know it works with the msr pocket rocket stove and one of the Primus', does it work with the Giga stove, too?

It's a nice weight, especially compared to Bibler's setup.

In general, has anyone used a ti pot with a hanging setup? seems the arms would either get in the way or get cooked off. any ideas?

thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used it, but I know a few people who have. None were impressed, it's basically a waste of money (their words).

Here's the reasoning:

When will you NEED a hanging set-up? Only a few scenarios come to mind for me.

1. An alpine big wall, where you could melt snow/ice and forgo hauling a bunch of water.

2. A winter big wall where hypothermia is a real concern.

3. A Grade VII, where you're hauling so much crap and spending so much time on the wall thatyou might as well have hot food.

People will say "Oh, what about a hanging system in the tent on a peak climb"

Are you $&%* nuts?! One screw up and POOF!! tent in flames, or carbon monoxide poisoning, or second degree burns from a bumped and dumped pot.

Other will say "Oh, I need hot food on a wall climb"

Take alot and you will suffer, luxury will amount to extra days which is not luxury on a wall (when you could be on the ground already, swilling OE and securing some lovin)

On top of this, unless you're using a canister system (which is what you describe) you will spill fuel on your gear. If you are using a canister system, pray that it's not very cold or high otherwise they suck.

If you must have hot food, take some military MREs with the heater packs...not too bad and no stove/fire/pots. And if you must have a hanging system, just make it...$15 in materials and two hours of time tops.

Just my opinion of course, YMMV