Crystal Mountain VertFest Rando Race

coldiron

peter1.jpg

Peter Svatojansky on the bootpack- 1st lap

SLOVAK DOMINATES VERTFEST

Randonee racers at the Crystal Mountain VertFest got the chance to test themselves against one of the world's best this weekend. Slovakian national champion Peter Svatojansky won in convincing fashion in the challenging 4900 ft. Ski Mountaineering Race, then an hour later took first place in the downhill oriented Sturtevant's Freeride Blitz. Peter is an eight year veteran of the European World Cup Circuit and has racked up an impressive string of results, including bronze in the World Championships and European Championships, and two fourth places in Europe's premier race, The Pierra Menta. We can expect to see more of Peter this season as he is living in Vancouver for the winter. He is sponsored by backcountrysafety.com for his North American visit and his Slovakian expat friend Stan Faban is acting as interpreter and manager.

I got the chance to hang out with Peter and Stan, along with Canadian racers Mike and Andy Traslin over the weekend, in mighty close quarters as it turned out. I guess we've got something in common with our randonee racing brethren over the pond. They're not getting rich at it either. So, in true dirtbag ski bum fashion, the 5 of us crammed into one hotel room for a couple of nights. We had all packed beefier skis and boots for post race touring in addition to our race gear, and you can imagine the conglomeration of ski gear and wet, smelly clothing that took over our room. Combine that with nighttime emissions from two evenings of Mexican food and you understand why we got on the road so efficiently each morning.

Friday evening as we checked out the course we met Martin Volken setting bamboo, and Couloir's Craig Dostie skiing with Outdoor Research owner Dan Nordstrom. It was good to see some of the people behind the companies that support our sport, and we were happy to hear that both Craig and Dan planned to race the next day. Martin told us that Crystal allows uphill skiing inbounds, and it became one of my new favorite areas. I'll go out of my way to support a hill that is as backcountry friendly as Crystal Mountain.

Fifty people lined up for Saturday morning's race with clear sunny skies overhead. As the gun went off, the Slovak, myself, and the two Canadian National Team members quickly jumped into the lead and opened a widening gap on the field. I settled in behind Svatojansky, determined to match his pace for as long as I could, with Andy a few strides behind me. Andy and I managed to stay just behind Peter for quite a while, but his pace never wavered, and the gap between us slowly widened as we reached the top third of the 2600 foot climb.

Scott Coldiron

scott1.jpg

Andy Traslin

andy1.jpg

Mike Traslin

mike1.jpg

nothing like a day of pain and suffering in the mountains with all your buddies

bootpack.jpg

A traverse off the peak lead to a steep descent, and I charged down with Andy right on my heels. On wobbly legs now, I blew a turn in the heavy snow and lost a ski. Traslin pulled ahead into second place. The second climb went up the same route as the first but seemed steeper this time. My kick turns weren't as crisp now up the steep, narrow technical section and I saw Andy pull further ahead. Up ahead was Peter, looking as fresh as he did at the start, each stride smooth, long and efficient, even as he kick-turned up the steep headwall we had boot packed on the first lap. Below me Mike came into view, solidly in fourth place with no one in sight behind him.

I was able to push hard again on the next section, a lower angle traverse, but Andy seemed to have another gear, and at the top I had lost my chance to catch him. The final descent dropped sharply off the other side of the ridge after 2300' of climbing, leading down a spicy chute before funneling into fast, open groomers.

Lots of prize money!

podium.jpg

After an hour to rehydrate and get to the top of the peak we lined up for the start of the Sturtevant's Freeride Blitz. Event organizers had planned an event for big skis and alpine boots, and were surprised that our group of four had entered on ultra light race gear. In a Chinese downhill race off the peak on double black terrain, the dynafits and light skis fared well, showing that randonee racers have downhill skills too. Peter was especially impressive, his technique was rock solid technique and his line would have been ballsy even on big boards. We all reached the bottom within seconds of each other and the 1000 foot climb quickly strung out the racers, with Peter, the Traslins and myself again taking a big lead. The race ended with another 1000 foot drop then a short skin to the finish line.

The Crystal Mountain event was one of the best I have been to. Racing during the middle of the day with folks cheering us on from the lifts was a welcome departure from some of the races with 8 o'clock starts and the management pushing to get racers off the mountain as quickly as possible. It was done quite safely too, with the Crystal Ski Patrol carefully watching sections were a collision could be possible. Martin Volken's well planned course combined with lots of volunteers and Outdoor Research’s enthusiastic staff made for a fun, well-run event. Well over 200 skiers and snowshoers took part in the races, clinics and demos that VertFest had to offer. Looking over the crowd of smiling faces at the awards ceremony and hearing people share stories from their day, it was clear that the this group of backcountry enthusiasts would take away good memories along with their tired legs and sore muscles.

Scott Coldiron

Some pictures of our tour the next day:

theridge.jpg

Nice view of Rainier from here

andy_scott2.jpg

The Traslin Brothers (nice matching toques!)

mike_andy.jpg[/i]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic