[TR] Index, Lower Town Wall - Numbah 10, Stern Farmer 2/19/2007

telemarker

Trip: Index, Lower Town Wall - Numbah 10, Stern Farmer

Date: 2/19/2007

Trip Report:

This is more of a composite Tr. Last week, Travis Hammond and I checked out Numbah 10, with a failed attempt on the A3+ Golden Corner variation to that route. I just wasn't committed enough to hook blown heads, and trust the heads were good 40 feet higher, because the corner is pinched off to nothing. There are a couple rivets, tho. I finished off on the Numbah 10 regular way, which was bolts between bomber gear. Recommended for cam hook practice, as the initial corner on N-10 is mandatory cam hooking between the bolts.

We then had time to run over and do pitch one of Stern Farmer, which is excellent nutting up higher. This starts on Jap Gardens I believe, then jogs right at the first bolt. Kyle Flick and I went back this past Saturday get on SF again, as I wanted to give the 2nd A3+ roof pitch a go. Kyle did just fine on P1, his first aid lead since last spring in Yosemite. P1 goes at A2 I think. The second pitch starts in a pinched off corner up to the roof, then a long stretch right to a small flare right at the corner, which took a perfect blue/green hybrid. I found the pro on the entire pitch great. On the corner below the roof, there are two fixed pins, plus three heads. In addition, the nutting is micro but solid HB's. This pitch felt C2 at most. Even without the fixed pieces, the gear would be excellent. This route deserves more attention.

Funny, despite the excellent weather, the aid climbers on saturday outnumbered the free climbers it seemed on LTW.

Few photos:

Travis cleaning P1, SF

--_0021.jpg

P2 Roof, SF

P1000982.JPG

P1000984.JPG

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there on Saturday as well and I think walked out at the same time as you guys. It was great to see so many aid parties out, particularly given that is was pretty warm and dry for the most part. A group of two guys and two girls came through around noon and I figured they were headed to Godzilla or Thin Fingers but sure enough, the guys looked like they were in fact headed there and the girls stopped at City Park and started busting out the etriers! Not only good numbers of aid folks but girls too! And three soloists! Sounds like Green Drag-on had a proud ascent over the weekend as well. Score one for the aid bumblies!!