Backcountry Cell Phone Beta

SlowSlogger

I'm about to buy a new cell and yes I actually do take it into the backcountry. I'm looking at a Verizon G'zOne and its suppose to be some uber sweet hard core shock, dirt, and water resistant. Its fairly new but wondering if anyone has had a chance to use one in the mountains???? Or if anyone knows of anything that works well on the south side of Baker?? Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago I was on the Easton Glacier and my buddy's Verizon cell... I think it was a razor... had zero service; I can't speak as to whether or not service has improved.

That said, service is a lot more dependent on the carrier than the phone you use; though some phones may be slightly better than others, it really comes down to whether or not there are towers for your carrier in whatever area you're in. The G'zOne is great in terms of durability, but don't expect to have any improved signal, regardless of where you are.

Edited by ambys

Near term, tri-mode phones are the way to go - which currently only verizon offers. They can receive an analog signal which gives them far superior mountain reception. The phones are being phased out as the analog network is being phased out, so this reception advantage may only be around for a year~ish.

There's a very detailed thread from a few months ago discussing this very issue. The exact timing of the analog phase-out is a bit muddy.