[TR] Banks Lake - 2/2/2007

rob

Trip: Banks Lake -

Date: 2/2/2007

Trip Report:

Went with a friend to banks lake to take my first shot at ice climbing. Left at 4 am, hit the sunrise over the flat horizon of the eastern plains. good views, very nice

This was my first time climbing ice. Joe let me borrow a pair of grivel machines. We climbed what I think was agent orange. Super fun, I'm hooked!

Put in two pitches, bailing at the top where the ice got kind of crappy. I was slow and bumbly, and fell a couple time as my tools or feet popped out of the ice, but I figured itout. We tr'ed the second pitch and I cursed my way to the top. Somehow I got a bruise on my forehead. rapped off, good climb, challenging. I think I'm getting to learn which placements to trust and which to not

We climbing something to the left, really nice pillars with a slight lip/roof underneath the top of the climb. Joe did a great job, stemming against a large icicle. He set up a tr for me

For this climb, he let me try one of his leashless tools in my right hand which was cool to try

This last one was a really challenging route for me. The first section was pretty easy, but climbing onto and up the pillar was really hard work. With a lot of cursing and shouting (sorry Joe!) I made it to the small roof.

I managed to get over the lip, which was extremely fun. I was dogging the line (a lot) but I finished it, while cleaning gear, and not falling, just using the line to rest. So, I was pretty happy. Clearing the lip was definitely challenging. Nice plastic ice above the pillar, good sticks.

Of course, Joe had to deal with a lot of "watch me" and "keep me tight here" and other various moaing. He was extremely encouraging and that got me to the top. :tup:

I'm really hooked, I gotta get me some tools now. Sweet

Great day, I'm totally pumped. Thanks for the climb joe (and the beer :brew:)

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days