Important-what lies ahead?

Jedi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They're showing it in several science classes here in Portland Public Schools. However it is being criticised on the basis that there is a "slant" of the information, and that Al Gore isn't a scientist but a politician. I haven't seen it myself. I plan to. But to me the critisism is unwarranted. Hell, when I was growing up every science film we ever saw could be construed as "slanted" one way or another. I say show it to whomever and have a disclaimer (if necessary) saying this is the opinion of a vast majority of leading international scientists. However there are others that say...[fill in the blank]. That should satisfy everyone.

I agree with you. The thing to rememeber is that there have been over 900 reports, written by scientist, that all say the same thing, there is global warming and it's not getting better.

Many na sayers are the same people that would argue with you if you said water is wet.

If one person says anything, of course their topic be considered slanted in one direction.

Al Gore went to college and had a proffessor that was the 1st to recongize that there was an issue with ozone gases (in the movie). Al's no puppet in this movie. He knows the facts. It suprised me.

The thing about the movie that makes it worth watching is a great deal of scientific data that is presented to you and it allows you to make an informed decision on how you might want to vote in the next election, what to ask your local politicians for and maybe what WE (as americans) can do for good ole mother earth.

I would not consider this one of those Discovery Channel "what if an asteriod hits earth" shows.

Makes me want to ride my bike to work more often and maybe move a little farther inland:O

I don't understand why folks consider the fact that Gore isn't a scientist a negative for this information. Most of us are not scientists. Most of us don't understand the scientific jargon used in science based journals. That's why it's helpful when a non-scientist who has spent years understanding the science and spent years finding a way to present the information to other non-scientists is such a positive thing. His presentation is undeniably moving and educational. His passion for his convictions helps his presentation; it is too bad some folks downgrade his heartfelt belief (resulting from his intensive investigation) as simply "slanted information".

I just saw this movie too--I highly recommend it. It's amazing that there is still the myth of a controversy, despite years of absolute scientific consensus on the nature of climate change.

I think Gore drew a good parallel in the film to the former "controversy" about the link between smoking and lung cancer.