my first tools?

AJScott

Im buying my first set of ice tools and am looking for some advice. I wanted the quarks...but light wings are 8oz lighter! I would sacrifice a little bit of performance for that much weight. Does anyone have any comparisons between the two...or anyother kinds of tools please chime in!

let it get cold!! grin.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can read many many discussions about the pros and cons of ice tools on this board. It also seems to come down to this advice, try a bunch of different ones before you decide. So make your buddies take you serac-ing and try out there tools. If your going to do a Banff trip, I know Mountain Magic has a great rental deal, they'll let you try different tools each day and then you can apply that toward a purchase. They have just about every type of tool as well.

For climbing ice weight matters. You need enough force behind the pick to get it to penetrate the ice - waterfall or alpine. If the tool is light then you'll have to swing it harder. Ice tools are one of the few cases where lighter may not be better.

The light wings will work much better in the cane position that the Quarks which isn't an issue if you climb steep routes. On more moderate terrain with lots of steep softish neve the Quarks aren't going to work real well.

I've now put in two alpine seasons on the Quarks and wouldn't go back. I've also used the Grivels and didn't like them. It largely comes down to personal preference and the type of climbing you think you'll be doing.

If you really want to save weight take your summer bag on winter routes... it'll save you a couple of POUNDS! yelrotflmao.gif