[TR] Mt Adams- Mazama Glacier 8/19/2006

cycling_mike

Climb: Mt Adams-Mazama Glacier

Date of Climb: 8/19/2006

Trip Report:

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to attempt a marathon 3 day cycle-climb-cycle adventure on Adams. The plan was this: bike from PDX to Adams (104 miles) on day one. Summit Adams on day two and bike back on day three. On day one I made it all the way to a bivy just below lunch counter, but managed to trip on my fuckin shoelace of all things and smacked my knee on a rock hard enough to kept me from going any higher.

Work and the usual BS kept me from making a 2nd go at it until this past weekend. My buddy Steve was driving to eastern Washington to start a job, so we decided to climb the Mazama glacier on his way out there. Then I'd bike home and he'd continue east.

On Saturday we left portland, reached the trailhead by 4pm and hiked up to sunrise camp by 7ish. The next morning we woke around 5 am and started up. The climb went smoothly enough; fortunatly we were able to bum some sunblock, as we'd both forgotten to bring any.

There was a bit more hiking than I'd expected, and we didn't get back down to the car until 6pm. By time we ate supper and reached hwy 14 it was after 7. Steve drove me to Stevenson, but since he had to start a 13 hour shift at 5:30 am he had couldn't bring me all the way back to portland. I assured him that I was fine, and started biking around 8:30 or 9 (my cell phone was dead so I didn't know exactly what time it was).

I refilled my water bottle rested a bit at Beacon rock. About ten miles later I hit a big rock in the road and got a flat tire which was a bit of a pain in the ass to fix, but other than that the ride was uneventful and the traffic was thankfully very lite.

When I got home I looked at the clock. It was 1 am, I set my alarm so I could get up for work in 6 hours, chugged a beer and promptly passed out.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic