[TR] Liberty Bell / SEWS- Rapple Grapple 8/4/2006

still_climbin

Climb: Liberty Bell / SEWS-Rapple Grapple

Date of Climb: 8/4/2006

Trip Report:

We returned to Washington Pass Friday to work some more routes and to initiate a newby to alpine rock. George, Darrel and I got a decent early start up to the Lib Bell / Concord col fearing crowds. We arived with one party ahead of us on the Beckey route. We waited an hour for them to clear the first pitch which allowed us to pass them by doing Rappel Grapple, our intended target. Although the route doesn't seem to get much traffic (more lichen on the rocks, etc)I thought it was better that Beckey. After doing the first pitch of Beckey you move a few feet right to a thin finger crack which becomes a left facing dihedral about 10 feet above. The first couple moves are 5.8 and then it eases off to pleasant, clean 5.7 corner climbing. The next pitch is somewhat easier but clean and varried. The last pitch joins Beckey starting at the white slab. I'm suprised this route doesn't get more action. BTW, four parties were on Beckey as we left.

Saturday we hit the trail even earlier, worried about the rumor of a Mountie assault on SEWS during the weekend. A brand new, never done a mountain before, gym climber, Stephanie, joined us for an initiation on SEWS South Arete. We arrived alone and didn't see others until we were leaving the peak in the afternoon. All in all it was a really fun relaxed climb and a great first experience for Steph.

SEWS2.jpg

Edited by still_climbin

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic