[TR] Aurora Bridge- Dangling Cord 6/30/2006

mattp

Climb: Aurora Bridge-Dangling Cord

Date of Climb: 6/30/2006

Trip Report:

I bought a new rope last night, and at lunch time I took it to the Aurora Bridge to dangle it over the edge and shake out the kinks before I take it climbing this weekend and get all tangled up. I tied it to the guard rail so I wouldn’t drop it, and fed it out over the edge, and I guess some passing driver thought I looked suspicious and called 911.

Just as I was finished coiling it back up again, two police cars pulled up and the cops jumped out and were ready to wrestle me to the ground if I tried to jump or maybe start a protest or something. "What are you doing?" They demanded. “Untwisting a new rope,” I replied. "What are you doing?" (Again) “Untwisting my rope. (Again). “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” (One more time). Obviously, answering the question wasn’t working, so I asked one of my own: “did you think I was going to jump or something?”

They demanded I climb over the fence to stand next to the police car and I said I didn’t really want to climb over the barrier that was there to protect pedestrians. I said “I’m sorry to cause you all this trouble,” and they told they weren’t going to arrest me or anything, but I still had to get in the car so they could drive me off the bridge.

Be warned. Suspicious persons on the Aurora Bridge will be phoned in by someone who has a cell phone and just wants to do you a favor.

Gear Notes:

Dress slacks and shirt.

Approach Notes:

Pedestrian walkway.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic