Clark Walrus Glacier

JuniperHedgy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there June 17-18. Creek crossing was knee to mid-thigh. Snow was consistent about 1/2 mile after the crossing and a couple feet deep (3 feet?) where we camped at 5200'. Most, but not all, of the trail up to Boulder Pass was snow covered. Glacier was pretty closed up for the Walrus, allowing a very direct line. That said, given the weather in the past 10 days, a lot of snow has probably melted out, so conditions could be very different. I have pictures at home that I will try to post tonight.

Can also be done in a day, sverdina and I attempted it 2 years ago with a 3 or 4 am start, but got lost at the Boulder Basin spur in the dark. Rode bikes in on the flat trail for the first 4 miles. We got lost and bushwacked for a good 2 hours before we realized our mistake and ran into a mother bear and her cub. By the time we reached the Walrus I had totally bonked and he had to get back to Seattle that evening. Nice place and fun trip. The Walrus looks to be in great shaoe right now.

Just got back from the trip. Absolutely no other person was up there! The glacier is still in excellent shape. We took 3 days so we could enjoy the camp the second night. Glad we came out on Monday morning because the area saw fairly intense t=storms on Monday evening.