3/18/06 Jove Peak, west face tour

Dave_Schuldt

MarkL suggested this tour since it’s been floating around in the back of my mind for years I said yes. We were the first ones at the parking area. There was a nice track up the road from the day before and it continued up through the woods to to Rainy Pass and all the way to the notch between Jove and Union Peak. At Rainy Pass we heard snowmos and saw their tracks but the noise soon faded and we heard no more. Got some good turns in the clear cut and almost missed the start of the traverse ‘cause the snow was so good. After reaching the notch we then threaded our way through giant wind pillows along the ridge up to the summit of Jove. I wish I had taken a some pics ‘cause some of the faces we 7 or more feet. The plan was to ditch the skies and post hole the last bit to the top but the snow was to soft so we quickly got ready to go down before we froze. We had a great run down the west face to the trees, we then cut left to head towards the west ridge of Union Peak. We should’ve dropped down some more to avoid the flat spot below the notch. However we did find a nice steep chute through the trees. We then traversed and climbed the ridge and dropped down towards Union Gap. We put our skins on too soon and so we missed some turns. We went over Union Gap and down to the road where we saw the first people on the trip. The snowshoers had put in a nice trench so it was a nice fast trip back to the car. Car to car 9 hours. This is a great tour if your tiered of skiing clear cuts, most of it is through old growth forest with nicely spaced trees. Conditions were somewhat variable but over all great, just a few funky spots where the sun had been. We had a snow showers w/ a few sun breaks and dramatic clouds and some wind at the top. This tour isn’t about turns or steeps but about quiet and scenery. One of my top 4 ski tours.

Check back later for pics, I'm going to bed.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic